Behavioral Health Consultant
In compliance with all state statutes and regulating bodies, in accordance with FHLC Policy and Procedure and within the scope of training and skill level, assess, diagnose, counsel, and provide integrated care, chronic disease management, substance use disorder counseling, and education and self-management skills to patients. Additionally, provides educational and consultation services to Primary Care Providers (PCP) and staff, community agencies, and the public; and performs related duties as assigned.
Brief (16-30 minutes) consultations and treatment including Individual, couples, and/ or family consultation with patients, including:
o Functional and strength-based assessments and diagnosis;
o Psychoeducation for patients and their support systems;
o Medication adherence counseling and disease self-management counseling;
o Motivational Interviewing to develop behavioral strategies aimed at symptom reduction
o Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to assist with negative thought patters and to promote self-efficacy;
o Chronic disease management and skill building for patient self-management;
o Adjustment to disability counseling to patients;
o Skills training to improve coping, distress tolerance, stress reduction, and relaxation; and
o Substance use disorder counseling and referral
- Consultation with PCPs to enhance understanding of the patient, provide decision support for treatment planning and assist in the implementation and monitoring of biopsychosocial treatment plans.
- Takes warm hand-offs from PCPs same day to provide immediate service to patients with mental health and medical concerns.
- Makes referrals to longer term therapy, when presenting concerns require a higher level of service.
- Documents in EHR and makes recommendations to the PCP to enhance co-treatment of patient.
- May act as a care coordinator, assisting patient to get the correct care at the correct time.
- Confers with and advises clients’ relatives to secure their understanding of and cooperation in treatment and rehabilitation programs.
- Cooperates, advises and works with other FHLC staff and outside agencies/practitioners regarding mutual patients.
- Educates clients and their families regarding their diagnosis, prognosis and treatment.
- Develops “lunch and learns” to help team understand the PCBH service.
- Provides crisis counseling when needed and employs the use of the County Crisis Team.
- Adhere to FHLC policies and procedures.
- Regular and Reliable Attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Family Health La Clinica is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires an individual, who has the
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work under pressure
- Analytical ability and has excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain high ethical standards and adhere to the ethics of the profession.
- Ability to respect the confidentiality of patient information while performing job duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and public.
- Ability to see a large number of patients in a fast Primary Care setting.
- Ability to think on your feet and conduct brief functional assessments in less than 30 minutes.
- Willingness to learn with a strong desire for flexibility in their work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with primary care staff, patients, and other behavioral health clinicians.
- Minimum of master’s degree in Social Work required, PhD/PsyD a plus.
- Experience in Primary Care Behavioral Health (PCBH) a plus.
- Competency in providing cognitive and behavioral and other brief models of care to individuals with behavioral health/substance use problems and medical concerns in a primary care setting.
- A valid Wisconsin state driver’s license as well as the ability to pass the requirements to complete the minimum requirements to operate a company vehicle required.
- WI state licensure in their profession at the time of application or ability to obtain within 6 months.
The selected candidate for positions in this class is required to undergo FHLC’s Provider Credentialing and Privileging which includes extensive background investigation. Per Federal Grant requirements, the selected candidate must not be listed on any debarment or exclusion list.
Family Health La Clinica(FHLC) requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, or hold a legally recognized exemption as a condition of employment. Where permitted by law, candidates who are offered a position will be asked about their vaccination status, which must meet minimum business requirements. All religious, medical, or other legally recognized exemptions regarding vaccination status will be considered.