Full-Time or Part-Time Position
Dentists function under the direction of the Chief Dental Officer in collaboration with the Site Dental Director. The location-specific Dental Practice Manager oversees the day to day operations of FHLC’s dental sites and is directly supervised by the Chief Operating Officer. Day-to-day clinical issues specifically related to oral health and general consultation is provided by the Chief Dental Officer or Site Dental Director who consults with the Dental Practice Manager and/or other management staff when necessary. Dentists in collaboration with the Dental Practice Manager provide clinical supervision of dental assistants. Dentists work collaboratively with the Dental Practice Manager at the site regarding day-to-day non-clinical operational matters.
The primary function of this position is the direct delivery of general dentistry services to FHLC patients of all ages at locations and on schedules determined by FHLC.
- Provides all aspects of general dentistry professional services and procedures to infants, children, adults, and elderly patients in accordance with generally accepted clinical standards and protocols adopted by FHLC which are in compliance with Wisconsin statutes and Federal regulations.
- Diagnoses and treats diseases, injuries, malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures by performing duties below:
- Reviews the patient medical/dental history at every visit and manages with a comprehensive evaluation of the patient’s general health
- Addresses all contra-indications pertaining to treatment and identifies patient’s reason for visit.
- Examines and assesses the patient. Charts all pathologic conditions and reports these to the patient.
- Using the treatment planning model of quadrant dentistry and develops written treatment plan with all options explained to the patient and with notation of approximate number of visits and time needed to complete care.
- Holds informed consent discussion with patient and documents same in the record
- Assures appropriate forms are signed prior to initiating treatment.
- Assures “Time Outs” are conducted by staff before all surgical procedures, extractions, or other complex dental procedures according to FHLC policy
- Prescribes medicine for patients as needed.
- Documents all treatment provided in a timely manner and in accordance with FHLC policy and procedures and signs the patient record.
- Designs and makes dentures or other appliances to replace missing or diseased teeth.
- When necessary, cleans teeth and provides preventive dental care including educating patient in oral and dental hygiene and applying fluoride and sealants to teeth as appropriate.
- As a representative of FHLC and its patients, collaborates with other professionals in the community and area regarding consultations and/or referral of FHLC patients needing care beyond the scope of FHLC’s dental service.
- Works with other FHLC professional staff for consultation and/or referral of patients and clients for treatment and services (medical or dental) within and outside the organization.
- Participates in on-call arrangements determined by FHLC.
- Actively participates in the Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement (QA/QI) activities of the center including peer review, and is expected to actively participate in establishment of clinical standards, protocols, goals, objectives, and documentation standards for records and quality management consistent with general dentistry practice.
- Assists the Chief Dental Officer and Dental Practice Manager in monitoring and directing clinical performance of dental hygienists and dental assistants.
- Supervises taking of x-rays and monitors quality/procedure for x-rays and other equipment operation and procedures by assistants and recommends improvements when needed.
- Performs quality clinical and radiographic evaluations to diagnose and treat diseases of the oral cavity.
- Assists in designing and delivering orientation & training of new staff as well as in-service education for hygiene and clinical support staff skills.
- Serves as liaison and FHLC “ambassador” between FHLC and other organizations or the public including other employees, professional Staff Members, sub-specialists, and hospitals.
- Assists in assuring practices are in accord with OSHA guidelines and standards and assures compliance with HIPAA regulations regarding confidentiality of patient information.
- Maintains all required professional certification and licensing including CPR certification and licensure through the Wisconsin Board of Dentistry.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisors or high in chain of command.
Family Health La Clinica is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer.
- Must be able to perform general dentistry procedures and other essential duties satisfactorily and on par professional standards of care. This position requires an individual, who has the ability to work independently, is able to work under pressure, is analytical and has excellent problem-solving skills. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Licensed and able to maintain licensure to practice dentistry in the State of Wisconsin. Must possess prescribing privileges and DEA registration. Must be eligible for participation in Wisconsin Medicaid and other state or insurance plans and programs.
- Graduate of accredited school of dentistry and possession of either a D.D.S or D.M.D degree. Graduate of residency in general dentistry and/or a master’s degree in public health dentistry is desirable. Must be able to perform each essential general dentistry duty and procedure satisfactorily.
Family Health La Clinica(FHLC) requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, or hold a legally recognized exemption as a condition of employment. Where permitted by law, candidates who are offered a position will be asked about their vaccination status, which must meet minimum business requirements. All religious, medical, or other legally recognized exemptions regarding vaccination status will be considered.