Medical Assistant – Behavioral Health
Assists in the examination and treatment of patients under the direction of the Provider in an outpatient clinic setting. Performs duties according to the scope of practice.
- Prepares patient rooms, restocks, and cleans as necessary.
- Interviews patients, measures vital signs such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height, updates health information and records information in electronic medical records (EMR).
- Documents patient information in the EMR following best practice standards including compliance with HIPAA.
- Assists Provider with patient examinations/procedures as needed, including supporting telehealth services.
- Provides translation for Providers as needed and able.
- Administers injectable medications and immunizations as ordered by Provider.
- Immunization ordering, tracking, and daily inventory monitoring in adherence with the Vaccines for Children Program and the Wisconsin Immunization Registry.
- Performs audiometry as requested.
- Performs visual acuity testing.
- Performs Peak Flow Meter or Spirometry testing.
- Performs pulse oximetry.
- Performs Electrocardiogram (EKG).
- Performs nebulizer treatments.
- Performs ear irrigation.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
- Completes all necessary forms or paperwork.
- Distributes patient education materials.
- Answers telephones politely, evaluating and responding to patient problems and questions and relays information to the provider.
- Performs phlebotomy and laboratory procedures.
- Labels and delivers all specimens to lab.
- Performs start-up of machines, runs controls, and analyzes to ensure maintenance and correct operation of machines.
- Performs shut-down and cleaning of lab machines.
- Obtains lab specimens.
- Participate in training to better patient care such as learning evidence-based approaches to self-management support, proactively addressing the needs of patients and families in this community, cultural competency, OSHA, HIPPA and EHR, office standing orders, patient population management, computer literacy and skills, communication skills, etc.
- Follows standing orders and protocols.
- Performs medication refills by standing order.
- Performs prior authorizations.
- Follows CLIA, OSHA and CLSI requirements.
- Follows HIPAA standards.
- Must adhere to FHLC policies and procedures.
- Regular and Reliable Attendance
- Other duties as assigned.
Family Health La Clinica is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires an individual who has the ability to work independently as well as in a group, is able to work under pressure, is analytical and has excellent problem-solving skills. The ability to respect the confidentiality of patient information while performing job duties. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and public. Ability to grow the team and work collaboratively in a team-based approach with clinical and non-clinical staff, patients and patients families. Ability to accept direction and work cooperatively with providers and staff. Knowledge of QA/QI processes, participates in QA/QI meetings as needed.
- High School Diploma or equivalent,
- Medical Assistant Certification preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider Certification required.
- Typing and computer skills required.
- Knowledge of EMR, medical terminology, medications, immunizations, phlebotomy and lab preferred.
Family Health La Clinica(FHLC) requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, or hold a legally recognized exemption as a condition of employment. Where permitted by law, candidates who are offered a position will be asked about their vaccination status, which must meet minimum business requirements. All religious, medical, or other legally recognized exemptions regarding vaccination status will be considered.