Patient Service Representative
Completing patient registration, assisting with walk-in patients, and scheduling appointed patients while ensuring excellent customer service, and keeping patient appointments on time according to the providers’ schedules. This position is also responsible for completing all required patient registration paperwork, payment collection and cashiering, patient reappoint and short notice scheduling functions.
- Checks all patients in for and out of their appointments.
- Schedules patients’ appointments.
- Updates schedules daily to fill no-show and canceled appointments, as well as schedules walk-in and emergency patients.
- Verifies patient demographic and insurance information for accuracy when checking patient in person or over the phone.
- Collects patient co-pays and pre-arranged payments at time of check in.
- Responsible for balancing cash drawer and making bank deposits daily or as directed.
- Confirms upcoming patient appointments as directed.
- Answers phones and directs calls as appropriate.
- Maintains patient call lists for patients who are Available on Short Notice (ASN), for efficient and effective management of provider schedules.
- Communicates regularly with clinic staff to ensure the patient flow is on time and operating efficiently.
- Work toward achieving performance and quality metrics identified for the Scheduling Center.
- Refers patients for financial, insurance or personal assistance, as necessary.
- Maintain high customer service standards to reflect a positive image of the organization.
- Maintain patient confidentiality, following Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of requirements and other unique characteristics of a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC).
- Provide coverage at other locations, as necessary.
- Must adhere to FHLC policies and procedures.
- Regular and Reliable Attendance
- Other Duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires an individual to work independently, stay positive in high-stress situations, and has excellent problem-solving skills. The individual must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, providers, and the public population. The individual must be able to effectively prioritize and multi-task frequently throughout their shift. The individual must be proficient in using Microsoft Office.
- Work may require sitting or standing for long periods of time; also stooping, bending, and stretching.
- Occasionally lifting files or paper weighing 50 pounds or more.
- Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, copier, and other such equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work is performed in the office.
- Involves frequent contact with people.
- Interactions with others are frequent and interruptive.
- Work may be stressful at times.
- Work schedules may be changed to accommodate departmental/facility needs.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimally quiet.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Previous experience working in a health care business office setting strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working with health and dental insurance benefits preferred.
- Minimum of one year of customer service experience required.
Bilingual (Spanish) is desired, but not required. Ability to read & understand documents, reports & correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups and/or individuals.
Family Health La Clinica is proud to be an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action employer.
Family Health La Clinica(FHLC) requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, or hold a legally recognized exemption as a condition of employment. Where permitted by law, candidates who are offered a position will be asked about their vaccination status, which must meet minimum business requirements. All religious, medical, or other legally recognized exemptions regarding vaccination status will be considered.